This pumpkin quiche is a delicious start to an autumn weekend morning and a great way to take advantage of pumpkin season! It also makes an easy dinner for a chilly evening when accompanied with a large dinner salad or a piping hot bowl of soup.
Roasted Sugar Pumpkin & Collard Crustless Quiche (Oil Free, Vegan, Gluten-Free)
- 1 small sugar pumpkin (5 to 6 inches diameter), de-seeded and quartered + a touch of sea salt
- 1 3/4 cups besan (chickpea flour)
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 block (15 ounces) extra firm, well drained and pressed tofu
- 1 cup finely chopped collard greens
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 scallions, sliced into rings
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
Preheat your oven to 375 °F and place the pumpkin onto a baking pan cut side up. Sprinkle gently with sea salt and then flip over so that the flesh is facing down. Add 1/4 cup water to the baking pan and bake for 45 minutes to 55 minutes, or until the flesh of the pumpkin is tender. Let cool completely, remove skin, and cube into small pieces.
Decrease the oven temperature to 350° and lightly grease a standard sized pie pan.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the besan, 1 cup water, 2 teaspoons salt and baking powder until very smooth. Crumble in the tofu and, using a spoon, stir well to combine breaking up any large chunks of tofu. Fold in the rest of the ingredients and bake in oven for 70 to 75 minutes, or until top is golden brown. Let cool at least 30 minutes before slicing.
Serve warm or cold.