Since the weather outside has been too hot for even this heat junkie to handle — with temperatures reaching close to 100 °F — I’ve been avoiding my oven and stove-top and instead looking to water-packed raw fruits and veggies to get me through these sweltering days of summer.
This light summer salad is reminiscent of the pasta salad I used to enjoy as a wee one… except I left out the heavy pasta and replaced it with my fave go-to summer staple: zucchini “noodles”. If you don’t have a spiralizer, a vegetable peeler works great too.
- 4 cups spiralized zucchini, unpeeled (about 2 medium zukes)
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 1 cucumber, seeds removed and diced
- 2 peaches, chopped
- 1 tbsp minced fresh garden herbs (oregano, sage, basil, mint)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning spice mix (unsalted, if “salted” reduce salt amount called for above and modify to taste)
- 1/4 cup water
Chop up spiralized zucchini into bite sized pieces and salt lightly. Transfer to large bowl and toss with remaining salad ingredients.
Whisk all dressing ingredients together into small bowl until well combined. Drizzle over salad ingredients to coat well. Let rest in fridge for about 30 minutes, and then stir once again to coat.
Serve cold or at room temp.
Keeps well up to a day or so. Perfect with a tall glass of lemonade.